Thursday, October 06, 2005

The Polia Fly Again


Last night the polia flew. This happens every so often, I haven't figured out if there is a pattern, but I presume there is. They take to the air in millions ... and fly around bumping into each other and everything else in sight (particularly if there is a light in the room), until they bump off their wings ... at which point they crawl away looking for more wood to call home. Last night was a mild night ... the invasion only lasted less than an hour, and the cats were able to eat them as fast as they hit the ground, but I remember a night during my first year here that they came in such numbers that there were piles of wings 6 inches deep in some corners in the morning. Oh yes, I forgot to mention, they are also called termites!

No comments: